08 April 2011

Monkeying about with Amazon EC2

There are a lot of new boards required for the Bakers Game refresh. And I do mean A LOT. We're jumping from about 5,500 easy boards to 12,000. And we're more than tripling the number of standard boards - and it's the standard boards which take FOREVER to compute.

So I needed processor power - gobs of it.

And thus Amazon steps in. Amazon rents out processors by the hour, and for cheap! For 17 cents an hour I can run two solvers on Amazon's hardware, so although their hardware isn't as fast as mine, they have much more of it. And solving winnable boards is practically Parallel Programming 101 ...

I've been running the solvers now on Amazon's hardware for about 72 hours. And in that time I've managed to generate more than enough easy boards and am nearly complete with the standard boards. And for just a little over $22 - which includes my experimentations, too.

With any luck I'll be able to wrap everything up and post for Apple's review team this weekend! Follow me on Twitter (@lgehrig1) and you'll see exactly when.

Keep coding!

No comments:

Post a Comment