21 April 2011

Why would pirates steal a free app?

The refresh of Bakers Game Solitaire was released Monday evening.  By the very next day, Chinese hackers tore into the code, hacked it, and posted it on their site.  No - I'm not linking to it.  It's easy enough to find, if you want to pay the hackers $1 for my app.

The pirates' web site is, at least, amusing:

• "You may only download this app for evaluation purposes" - because you certainly wouldn't want to evaluate the free and legal version
• They prominently display my name - free ads for me
• They provide a convenient link to my app on the Chinese iTunes App Store - more free ads!
• And, apparently, it's not only English where they have spelling problems - h4x0rs sux!

My app download numbers are up, too.  Part of this may simply be the refresh and some chatter, but I think I also have to credit the pirates.  I don't read and write Mandarin, so their conversion of my English into Chinese is most welcome.  The pirates are building a buzz around my app that I would ordinarily have to pay decent coin for.  Hey, this app is worth stealing!  Even though it's free with zero distribution costs - it's still worth stealing!  The hackers are even paying for disk and bandwidth!  Whoo-hoo!

Now I'll freely admit I placed no anti-hacking / anti-piracy code in my app.  So cracking Bakers Game is a task easily done by the greenest of code monkeys.  But consider this - the time they wasted on my app is time they didn't spend cracking any other app.  Without any anti-hacking code, there's nothing there for the hackers to learn from.  It was nothing but a giant time suck.

At the end of the day I have more downloads, an amusing blog post, and I've delayed the pirates' hacking of other apps and content.  God I love winning!

Keep coding!

No comments:

Post a Comment